Monday, January 10, 2011

I'm Pregnant!!


Patrick and I are so excited to announce that we will have our first little baby this year. Baby O'Rourke is expected to arrive on August 3. We are 10 weeks (and 5 days) along!


It's pretty hard to believe that we are going to be parents. This is something we've looked forward to for quite some time, so to have it finally happen is just wonderful!

We first found out on December 8 when we got a positive result from a home test. I was so shocked that I took a test on December 9th and December 10th too. . .just to be sure. I told Patrick by showing him the result on the 8th, to which he replied, "What does that mean?" Once I explained that we were pregnant, he scooped me up and couldn't stop saying how great it was. I'll never forget that moment.

We knew we wanted to use Dr. Gass right from the start, and knew it would take quite a bit of time to get in to see him. Not only that, my insurance from my new job hadn't kicked in at that point, and wouldn't for another 3 weeks. It was pretty difficult waiting around for that first appointment.

Long ago, Patrick and I decided that we'd keep the news between the two of us, but I couldn't help myself. I later confessed to Patrick that I told multiple people :/ (like 8)

Luckily, he wasn't upset!

Our first appointment with Dr. Gass was Thursday, January 6. Immediately they took us back for an ultrasound. Patrick got to see our baby first, and instantly began asking TONS of questions about what he saw on the monitor (in true O'Rourke fashion!). After some photos, the technician turned the monitor for me to see. I couldn't stop smiling. The feeling of seeing our baby for the first time was pretty indescribable. Then our baby moved its little arms, and I melted into a sea of tears. It suddenly became real!

After the appointment, Patrick and I took the ultrasound pictures to his parents house. They were very happy for us. We then went to tell my mom, who wasn't home! Ahhhhh! To add to the drama, Patrick had a rehearsal that evening. We had to wait until that was over before heading back to mom's house. Upon arrival, I barged into her home saying loudly that she needed to settle a bet that Patrick and I had going on. I then pulled out the pictures and asked her what she thought they looked like. Once it all processed, she jumped up and screamed for joy! It was priceless. Another moment I'll never forget.

Everything has gone pretty smoothly. I had most of my sickness during the first few weeks. Every now and then it comes back, although as I improve my diet and eat more often, I'm able to hold it off. The doctor says I shouldn't feel this nauseous for much longer. I can't wait until that part is over. Luckily, I haven't thrown up at all.

I have had a few strange cravings. . .tuna and oranges was pretty strong early on. Also, I LOVE the smell of dill pickles! Yum! Tonight I really wanted potato salad. I've had a pretty strong aversion to hamburgers and french fries, which was once a staple in my diet. Just the thought of them make my head spin. . .blech!

Patrick has helped satisfy my crazies! Anything I need, he takes care of it. Even over the holidays when I needed someone to make me put my "big girl panties" on, he was there kicking my butt, and telling me to pull it together. I really have a wonderful husband, and I can't wait to see him as a father!

I'm looking forward to this awesome journey! What a blessing this child is! We are thankful that God has trusted us with this little life. He is good!

4 comments:

  1. 1. I am so glad I found your blog!
    2. Eat something small every hour and a half and it willl help a ton.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much Sabrina! I didn't realize how much food I need to keep handy! I'm glad we get to share this experience together! I might "steal" a few ideas from your blog if you don't mind!

    ReplyDelete
  3. steal away- where do you think i got the ideas? other peoples blogs! ha! i am glad we get to go thru it together too! and I am so glad you guys recommended dr.gass, he is great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Yay!!!! You go to Dr. Gass too! He is so wonderful and patient and thorough! I can't wait to see him again!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...